CJA's 15th Anniversary DinnerCelebrating our Victories in the Movement for Global Justice
CJA would like to thank our generous sponsors and supporters who made our 15th Anniversary Dinner, Celebrating our Victories in the Movement for Global Justice, a resounding success. We feel very fortunate to be part of such a committed and vibrant community of human rights activists. For a complete list of sponsors, click here.
Over 350 CJA supporters, partners and clients joined us on May 14th in San Francisco to celebrate our successes in holding high-ranking perpetrators accountable and providing redress to survivors of human rights abuses.
The evening program provided powerful examples of some of the people who have made CJA’s work possible:
- Guatemala Attorney General Dr. Claudia Paz y Paz accepted the 2013 Judith Lee Stronach Human Rights Award for her heroic efforts to restore justice in Guatemala. Dr. Paz y Paz is Guatemala's first woman Attorney General and has made unprecedented strides in the prosecution of organized crime, political corruption and human rights. Click here for more information about Dr. Paz y Paz.
- We were especially inspired by the stories from our courageous clients Aziz Mohamed Deria of Somalia and Kelvin So from Cambodia.
- The 2013 Champion of Justice Awards were presented to Robert “Boby” Duval and Ahmed Salah.
- Mr. Duval was honored for his long struggle for freedom and human rights in Haiti. Mr. Duval, a former Amnesty International Prisoner of Conscience and soccer star, is the lead witness in the trial aga st Jean-Claude Duvalier and has committed himself to securing justice for the victims of the Duvalier Regime. Click here for more information on Mr. Duval.
- We honored Mr. Salah for his heroic commitment to promoting human rights in Egypt. He is Co-Founder of the 6th of April Youth Movement in Egypt, and was one of the tacticians behind the January 25, 2011 demonstration in Cairo that touched off Egypt's revolution. Click here for more information on Mr. Salah.
- Katya Cronin and Christina Hioureas accepted the 2013 Partner in Justice Award on behalf of Latham & Watkins. Latham & Watkins was honored because of the firm’s demonstrated commitment to human rights, and history of working with CJA, including serving as pro bono co-counsel in CJA’s historic case Ahmed v. Magan in which former Somali Colonel Abdi Aden Magan was found liable for torture, arbitrary detention and cruel treatment.
Thank you for celebrating with us. With your support, we look forward to many more victories for our clients.
For those who could not make it this year, we hope to see you at our next event!